Saturday, July 7, 2007

My New Comics


I had to get some help with this week’s best cover. I was torn between Star Trek: Klingons: Blood will Tell #3 (the Messina cover) or The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #6. Well, I got my SO’s opinion and she picked Star Trek: Klingons: Blood will Tell because “it has a bigger impact.” She’s right, that Nona chick always did get me hot under the collar. She looks like a black magic, biker cavewoman.

Marvel Zombies vs. the Army of Darkness #5, Marvel Comics and Dynamite Entertainment.

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #6, Marvel Comics.

Star Trek: Klingons: Blood will Tell #3, IDW.

Ray Harrhausen Presents: 20 Million Miles More #1, Blue Water Comics. This is continuation of 20 Million Miles to Earth, which is getting a brand new 50th anniversary DVD release this month. See here.

Jonah Hex #21, DC Comics.

I also splurged and picked up three trade paperback collections

Usagi Yojimbo: The Mother Of Mountains, vol# 21, Dark Horse Comics.

Captain America: War and Remembrance, Collecting John Byrne's run on Captain America.

Invaders Classic, Vol #1, Marvel Comics, the first collection of Roy Thomas’ superhero comics set in WWII


-Swinebread

9 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Don't forget to pick up your copy of Radioactive Man at 7/11 (aka Kwik-E-Mart). We got one.

ladybug said...

So what's the synopsis of this Klingon/Blood/Nona chick story?

Don't leave us hangin'!

Swinebread said...

Snab – Radioactive-man is supposed to have some really great parodies of superhero comics.

LB – Spoilers

There isn’t really that much Nona in the story. It’s basically the episode of “A Private Little War” told from the Klingons perspective.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/A_Private_Little_War

Arkonbey said...

I want to check out the Klingon book. However, I find myself jaded. Each 'franchise' book, be it Star Trek, Star Wars, or BSG, has fantastic cover art...

and interior art that ranges from forgettable to abysmal.

How does 'Blood Will Tell' rate?

Swinebread said...

arkonbey – I know what you mean. I think that’s why I don’t buy that much franchise stuff or least haven’t in the past. I’m disappointed with the BSG art as well, but I am still picking it up. When it comes to this series David Messina is doing the interior art. So, the cover you see here is what it looks like inside. It’s very stylized. Maybe this Star Trek Comic is like the design of the Justice League cartoon in comparison to superhero comics.

You’re comments remind me of Animal Man, a great comic reduced to a good comic because of terrible interior art.

Dean Wormer said...

Dude-

I read that MZ.

Also- Black Panther "The Initiative" brought back the five core zombies and has them fighting the real FF in an alternative universe. Very, very dark and funny.

Swinebread said...

*ahem* the Ultimate FF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Fantastic_Four

Dean Wormer said...

You sure?

Black Panther, Storm, Johnny and Ben are the current FF in the "real" universe, right?

That's who are fighting the Marvel Zombies.

Swinebread said...

glup - you're right! ...They did have a crossover w/ the Ultimate FF. That's what I was thinking.

guess I really have checked out of the Marvel U