Monday, July 9, 2007

Ratatouille


I demanded that my SO and I go see Ratatouille over the weekend. Happily she complied. Even though going to the movie theater is a struggle with all the rude hi-jinks going on, it still was an enjoyable experience.

There isn’t much more I can add to all of the positive reviews of the film. I enjoyed it. You can tell that the folks a Pixar really put time and effort into the story long before anybody started designing or animating anything. I’m a little more partial towards The Incredibles, for obvious reasons, but Ratatouille just might be the best movie they’ve come out with story wise. Plus the animation was fantastic.

Here is what I liked in no particular order (spoilers):

It’s not a Musical… I get tired of practically every animated show being a musical. I’m glad Pixar is continuing to break the mold on this.

The story is excellent.

Man, they really know how to animate hair correctly now.

Comic timing is rock solid.

The food looks really delicious.

Those of us who aren’t aware of what a professional kitchen is like actually learn something.

The Joy of food and cooking are well communicated despite that fact there is no smell or taste coming from the screen

Rémy the Rat is an entertaining character. In fact, this might be the first animated film were I like all the characters.

Those shots of Paris… Ooo La La

When Anton Ego tastes Rémy’s creation is a one of the best moments in the film.

Lot’s of little in-jokes about Parisian and French culture.

Of course, topnotch animation

When Colette Tatou crunches the bread

When Rémy makes the soup is another wonderful scene as well.

I could go on and on, but just go see it.

Here is what I disliked in no particular order (spoilers):

(I’m really scraping here)

The music wasn’t memorable. Funny, because I didn’t want a musical, but I still want memorable music.

Hmmmm… controlling Alfredo Linguini by his hair didn’t totally work for me, but this is a movie about a talking rat that make exquisite cuisine so who cares right?

Would Colette really go for a guy like Alfredo?

When is this movie set? Not that this is really important, but the time period is kinda’ nebulous.

Why do some folks have a French accent and while others do not?

Missed Opportunities (spoilers):

ahh... A few more shots of Paris…?!

-Swinebread

4 comments:

Pandabonium said...

Sounds great. Now we just have to wait until it is available to rent here on DVD.

What do you mean "rude hi-jinks going on"?

Swinebread said...

People talking, kicking the chairs, talking on cell phones (although that didn't happen this time).

It is great film you'll like it.

Overdroid said...

I agree! Loved it! One of Pixar's best. Looking forward to the robot film they talk about during the previews.

One other thing I liked (spoiler):
When Alfredo tells the rat he can cook and the rat makes the distinctive European hand motion that says "I have some slight skills, perhaps."

And why does Colette go for Alfredo?
First, because he is a brilliant chef, and later, because he had the vision to realize that a rat could cook (which is what made his father a hero to Colette, she really buys the "anyone can cook" ideal). And let's face it, he has a big heart.

Swinebread said...

Yeah, yeah I know, but he is kinda homely looking you gotta admit.