Saturday, March 29, 2008

Pop Randomness




Caprica is a go. After languishing in development hell while turd piles like Flash Gordon get made in to unwatchable shows, Sci Fi has finally seen the light (the green light that is) as it has nothing in the pipeline. Interest in the program should be high as Battlestar Galactica will finish out it’s run this year and fans are sure to be hungry for a more BSG.

Set 50 years before the events of Battlestar Galactica, Caprica follows two rival families--the Greystones and the Adamas --as they grow, compete and thrive in the vibrant world of the 12 Colonies. Enmeshed in the burgeoning technology of artificial intelligence and robotics that will eventually lead to the creation of the Cylons, the two houses go toe to toe.

“I'm thrilled with the chance to expand on the Galactica world and get deeper into the origins of the story we've been telling," Moore said in a statement. "It's also great to have a chance at doing a completely different kind of science fiction series, one that's even more character-oriented and doesn't rely on pyrotechnics to carry the story."
From here

Now we’ll get to see the first cylon war and the original toasters, Yes! (Don’t forget the new and final season starts next week)



Speaking of the dog crap that was Flash Gordon, it sounds like we got as close as we’re gonna’ to an apology from Sci Fi’s for their “interpretation” of the character:

(David) Howe says Sci Fi didn't treat the iconic character of Flash Gordon with enough care. In a few years, he says, the network may take it up again, with a fresh take and a bigger budget.
From here

“Oh, sorry we took a big giant dump all over Flash Gordon’s Legacy so we could try to squeeze a few bucks of profit out of a science fiction brand we ruined. We just didn’t want to spend any money on it… Our Bad!” Grrrr. It’s terrible shows like Flash Gordon that give sci-fi fans a bad rep in the wider culture. Plus, what also made me even angrier is that the FG actors were shocked that so many vehemently, and publicly hated the show. Hey guys? Do some research before you sign up for a program that totally sucks like reading the script.



I greatly enjoyed the last episode of The Spectacular Spiderman. They’ve really found a good balance between Peter at school and the demands of being Spiderman. Sandman was fun too. His introduction really worked well and reminded me of the comics. In the show, he’s just a thug that’s tired of Spidey bustin’ him every time he robs a bank, so he makes a deal with the super-criminal underground and “accidentally” gets powered up. Also, Aunt May mentions maybe Peter should take her friend’s daughter to the dance… some chick named Mary Jane.



A new Lone Ranger movie is on the horizon!

The writing duo, best known for their work on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, are in final negotiations to write a live-action big-screen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger" for Disney and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

The project will be made by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films in association with Entertainment Rights.
From Here

Wow, I can’t wait for the amazing CG effects, huge explosions, and Kung-fu fighting that’s sure to please western fans out there. Nothing says Lone Ranger like Jerry Bruckheimer. ….ugh…


Ever wanted to be knocked out and tied up? Of course we all do, but how many of you have also wanted to chloroform yourself as well? In a superhero outfit? I came across superbecca on youtube. She’s got a fetish site that’s all about woman, dressed up as supers, getting knocked out, tied up, and dominated. Take a look!



Here she is chloroforming herself



In what seems to be a very big precedent setting case, the Siegel Family has been awarded the rights to Superman based on Acton Comics #1. See Heidi MacDonald's take and links here. I guess there is a little truth and justice in the world after all.


-Swinebread

13 comments:

rob! said...

i finally started watching BSG on DVD, and now i'm addicted to it. holy frak, i can't get enough of it, its such a good show.

i never started watching it on regular TV because, frankly, i think almost all the stuff sci-fi shows is total garbage, so i had my doubts about BSG, but man was i wrong.

i just finished the mini, started in on season 1. i'd watch it all in a row if i could!

Swinebread said...

Rob! – Your experience with BSG seems to be a common one. I know a gal that absolutely hates scifi shows period, but her husband bought the BSG DVDs and now she’s addicted to it. The term naturalistic has been used to describe that show, and I think that’s what brings people in once they give it a chance. BSG is kinda’ viral in it’s popularity. I really like it for the most part although there was a point where the show got to be a little too angsty for me in middle of the run. I have a feeling I’ll like Caprica even more than BSG but we’ll have to see.

The majority of what SciFi shows is pretty bad or just plain boring, sad but true.

Steve said...

Wow HUGE fracking decision on Superman.
It will be very interesting to see where this goes

Thomas Fummo said...

hey, man...
stop dissing Flash Gordon.
I like the show. It's not the best in the world, but I enjoy it.
It's your opinion. Say so.
with respect,
Dr.S

Stephen said...

I too am greatly digging spectacular spiderman the theme song is awesome, and i like all the new villian designs. I especially like the way they made eddie brock a good friend in the first couple of episodes. Also it's cool how sheepish and weak doc ock is currently i wonder how he's going to transition to super villain and how menacing he's gonna be.

Don Snabulus said...

Hopefully Caprica brings the same excitement BSG did. Never watched Flash Gordon, so I am stuck listening to that Queen song over and over again.

Hopefully Bruckheimer doesn't screw up the Lone Ranger. I wonder how they can do Tonto in some manner which isn't goofy or insulting...I will cross my fingers.

The fetish films were definitely an anti-fetish for me, but if it makes someone happy and nobody gets hurt, enjoy and have fun without me.

Nice variety, SB.

Becca said...

I am really glad to hear the idiots who ruined Flash Gordon realized they made a mess of that show. I mean how hard is it to get Flash Gordon right? Even the Queen Flash Gordon isn't exactly the comic but it's loads of fun.

I mean come on WHO MAKES MING BLONDE?!?

I almost swore there...sorry. I am very passionate about how bad that show was.

Eaglewing said...

Um, unique (?) vids there, I suppose. Wouldn't mind being the dude there on the couch who gets a couple superhero chick falling all over him tho.

I don't have much hope for Lone Ranger coming from the Pirates people. I just really hope they go more towards fun Pirates 1 territory and not the sequels. The CGI horse should be flawless though :)

Arkonbey said...

Sci-Fi seems to ruin everything. Flash Gordon, Dune, Outer Limits.

Jeez.

What's the problem? B5, BSG and the new Dr. Who prove that science fiction can be compelling and well written even without a huge fx budget.

And thanks, Swine, for giving me the wonderful news that Mr. Bruckheimer is doing Lone Ranger. I as well can't wait for lots of explosions and am looking forward to the CGI Silver as much as Eaglewing

Swinebread said...

Pidomon – I’m sure time/Warner will appeal, who knows, it could go all the ay the supreme court, which is very corporation friendly

Doc S – I can understand your frustration with my comments on Flash Gordon, but I found that show particularly insulting both to me personally and to the Flash Gordon legacy. So while I usually express things as my opinion, this time the anger about this program was very real and palpable and I’m not alone in this. Sci Fi really screwed this up big time. See my post here for a more expanded review of the show. Additionally, while I appreciate your comments and anyone’s comments on my blog (I have an open comments) I reserve the right to make any kind of statement or express any type of opinion on my blog. I don’t usually express things in such hateful terms but I feel the Flash Gordon TV show warranted it. I would encourage you to write a rebuttal on your blog if you feel I’ve unjustly condemned it.

Stepehen – They are doing a good job, I think we’ve finally got a good theme for Spidey!

Don – Don’t ever watch FG TV show.

I’m worried about Bruckheimer but it couldn’t be worse then the 1980 version.

Becca – right, it’s easy to do it’s a very simple Idea… I really think they just wanted to borrow the name so they could make a quick buck.

EW – heh heh, I was kind thinking the same thing.

You know I never bothered with the last two pirates movies because I though the first one was just OK.

Arkonbey – true, I just don’t understand what they doing over there. They say profits are up but they’re up because of reality shows like ghost hunters. Blah

Anytime! :D

Dean Wormer said...

Lots of stuff here. Great post. Almost TOO great. :)

Caprica- I've been catching up on 3x BSG in anticipation of the final season and I have to say I'm happy this is going to be going on in another form. I am a little worried because on of the biggest subplots of this series which contributes a lot to the tension are the cylons that look like humans and the paranoia that results. I don't see how that can be part of a series that takes place earlier.

Flash Gordon- I caught a little of that and agree that it was pretty bad. Inferior to even the 80's movie.

Spiderman- Also a great show and liked Sandman. Enjoyed the last episode too even if you have to accept the idea of high school students doing genetics research. But that's ET Flying. Did you see any of the series off of MTV they did a couple of years ago?

Lone Ranger- My first reaction is Uh-oh, but if you recall the first Zorro movie worked from a few years ago. I think it all depends on the writers/ directors/ actors involved.

Faded said...

Youtube is all a Republican mindcontrol plot.

fiddle, America..

Swinebread said...

Dean – Caprica will have to have a different feel. I suspect a more corporate greed type of thing and then the whole cylon war with fight for survival, the good fight sort of deal.

Flash Gordon very bad, not good

I did see a few episodes, but it wasn’t anything special. The selling point was the 3D-CG, which wasn’t really that great. It was just boring imo.

I haven’t seen the Antonio Banderas films… I guess the LR could be OK but I’m trying to lower my expectations

Fade – interesting – the corporate thing?