Friday, January 4, 2008

Atomic Romance Anniversary

The first X-Men Comic I ever read, issue #173. It’s a Good One!

Today is my one-year blogiversary. I made it kinda’ easy to remember by starting this blog so close to New Year’s Day. Originally I planned on posting a long rambling story about what I had and hadn’t accomplished with Atomic Romance. Well, I changed my mind. It was just a little too tedious. There was one section though, that’s actually interesting so I thought I’d share that with you.

One of the main things I really wanted to do with atomic romance was to go through my old comics and share the joy of these stories. I wanted tell you, the reader, how wonderful comics are by revealing the story of my collection, a collection started many years ago. Sadly, right before I began this blog, I noticed I had developed an allergy to old paper. When I brought some of my boxes of older comics to my apartment from a relative’s house, I began getting really bad sore throats, itchy eyes and runny noses. I’ve never had allergies before so I just thought I had a cold, but eventually I noticed when I wasn’t around my old comics everything cleared up. When I understood what was happening I was devastated. How could I talk about my love of comic books if couldn’t physically stand to be around them. I don’t know how I developed this problem, but I suspect it started when I lived in a very old building with a mold problem a few years back. Regardless, it’s tough. I had imagined a whole series of posts about my favorite titles by my favorite creators. But alas the comics went back to my relative’s house and I had to convey any comic stories strictly from memory. It sucks frankly. A lesson learned though, don’t store your old smelly back issues in with the newer stuff you own. It ALL gets stinky.

Well, besides the annoyance of not having my old comics to go through, I’ve had a great year being online with all of you. Thanks for visiting my blog and reading my random thoughts. I should have done it a long time ago.

-Swinebread

23 comments:

Arkonbey said...

Oh, man. Allergic to old paper! That bites. I love the smell of old books so much, I feel for you.

You could, I suppose, laminate each and every page of each and every issue. Yeah. That'd work.

or a gas mask!

ladybug said...

I remember that very cover! Weird...

I guess you'll need an old house w/a basement to store the old comix...so it won't be up w/the new stuff.


Maybe you can de-junkify them?

Rich said...

Congrats on your blogoversary!

That paper allergy is not good news at all...

Overdroid said...

Just have your lymph nodes surgically removed. Priorities!

Also, are you going to do an article about the new Hulk movie?

Don Snabulus said...

Soak each comic book in bleach water for 30 minutes. Clears the problem right up...except I've noticed a bit of a readability problem after I've done so.

Arkonbey said...

Also wanted to say thanks for lettin' me hang out.

Since my local shop is full of jerks, you've turned me onto some new books.

To all who care:

There are links to a Fairness Battalion logo and a banner on my blog. Can't wait to see what people come up with.

Swinebread said...

Arkonbey – I thought about the gas mask…

LB – I’ll just have to wait until I have a bigger place and can store them in non-living areas. Like a basement, Yes.

sadly I can’t really de-junkify them

rich – thanks rich, and your sympathy is welcomed.

OD – I tried but the doctors just didn’t understand my passion.

I hope to do a Hulk review, yes.

Snab – well there is the fumes problem from the bleach…

Arkonbey – You bet! That’s what this blog is all about! J

And thank you for the FB logo!

Thomas Fummo said...

worst allergy ever.

but on the other hand...

best blog ever!

commiserations and congrats respectively.

Thomas Fummo said...

think of this as a blogoversary gift.

B-Movie 2

SamuraiFrog said...

Congrats on the milestone! Uncanny X-Men was one of my first comics, somewhere during the time of the Mutant Massacre.

Swinebread said...

Dr S - Thanks, Heh heh. I think your 2nd film is funny too...

SF - thanks, I remember the Mutant Massacre too. It was a few years after this issue.

I enjoy you blog, thanks for stopping by.

Heidi Meeley said...

Congrats! You are absolutely one of the reasons I look forward to turning on my computer in the morning. Maintain the insane!

Heidi Meeley said...

Oh, and the allergy sucks. I am sorry to hear that!

I experience the same thing, but it has been alright as long as everything is bagged, boarded, and kept in the basement away from my nose. As for going into comic book shops, that is another test of the senses.

Poor fella.

Swinebread said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swinebread said...

Thanks Heidi! Back at ya! :)

As for the Allergy, yeah it sucks. The bagging does help a little.

Becca said...

In spite of the tragic, tragic allerfy you've got a pretty great blog here! Happy Anniversary!! Keep up the awesomeness!

Swinebread said...

Thanks Becca!

Dr. Zaius said...

You should suffer for you comics. You should sleep with them! Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with them! Live them and breath them!

Or at least buy reprints.

Happy one-year blogiversary, Swinebread!

Swinebread said...

Of course you are correct Dr. Zaius

and thanks

Randal Graves said...

Aw shit, now I'm afraid to go and check out my old comics. That's horrible to hear, but congratulations on hanging around for a year, nonetheless!

Swinebread said...

It sucks and thanks randal

BAC said...

I wonder if putting them in the microwave for a few seconds would help? It kills the germs off a kitchen sponge ... but then you need to put the sponge in water, so I guess it's the boiling water that actually does it ... and boiling water would ruin a comic book ... so ... never mind.

Happy one-year blogiversary, Swinebread!


BAC

Swinebread said...

Thank You BAC!