Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jim Mooney is Gone, R.I.P.

Jim draws himself into a Spidey comic

The very prolific comic artist, Jim Mooney has died this week. It’s amazing when you think about how many stories he worked on from the Golden Age up through the Bronze Age. He’s probably most famous for his time on Supergirl, but because he was very productive and reliable, he penciled and inked many titles for the big two. He had a nice clean style, and as an inker, he really made fellow artist’s work shine. For me, Mooney is best remembered as thee “back issue” artist. I was always buying up copies of the various Spiderman titles he worked on. A good Spectacular SpiderMan by Mooney was not to be missed. A significant amount of his output is collected in trades and hardcovers.

I love his work. When I say, “I wish comics were drawn like they used to be,” Jim Mooney’s art is what I’m talking about. He had a great run, and he’s left us with a remarkable legacy.



…With a nod to Heidi Meeley’s post about Mooney death for cluing me in.

-Swinebread

3 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

I bet I read a lot of his stuff without even knowing it.

RIP sir.

Arkonbey said...

I agree with Snab. Now that I look at it, I wonder how much Mooney helped to define the 'mondern' style of the 1970s.

Swinebread said...

That's a very good point guys! I guess that's why I like his stuff so much.