Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yokai Joke-ai



With all I did this last weekend, I also managed to watch Takashi Miike ‘s Great Yokai War. Luckily, I’m a little familiar with Japanese monsters or I might have been a little lost. I found the traditional, mythological creatures (like the Rokurokubi, and the Kappa) a real hoot but the new techie monsters weren’t that interesting. It's a kid’s film so maybe I can’t be too hard on it. I bet I'd have a whole different view if I were about 10. The Great Yokai War never takes it's self too seriously so that's a big plus. The makeup is fantastic and the effects are wonderful as they're not all CG. If you want weird, wild monsters check it out.

trailer:


-Swinebread

5 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

That looks like a fun one. Did you see it in the theater, rent it, or buy it?

1minutefilmreview said...

Very nice fantasy piece from Miike, we're fans too!

Dean Wormer said...

Oohhh. Trippy.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Alright!
I saw that movie while riding a chartered bus on an outing together with our neighborhood children's club. Since I didn't have the luxury of subtitles, let alone dubbed-in English, and I couldn't hear the audio very well in any case, it took me a bit to figure out what was going on. I had a terrible feeling when it first started, but it really is a fun movie to watch.

Swinebread said...

Snab - On Demand, via the Sundance channel.

1M – Hey thanks for stopping by! Yeah, Miike is a very talented guy what diversity this guys has from Ichi the Killer to this!

Dean – it’s very trippy, but in a kid Japanese way… so you’ll not get it most likely ;D

MM – I found the traditional Yokai fantastic making the film well worth the look-see.