Friday, May 16, 2008

Randomness



An interesting and slightly clueless (did this guy read any comics made before the 1990s?) article titled "how superhero movies made comic books cooler if not better on io9 caught my attention. Most of these changes I don't consider making comics any better but yes maybe cooler for a little while at least.

------------------------

engaging Watchmen costume design video



------------------------

Chaosium is running a new pole on their webpage's sidebar called: Which Genre would you most like to see as a Chaosium BRP setting? (See here) The choices are Fantasy, Historical Horror, Post Apocalypse, Pulp, & Science Fiction. Of course I chose Post Apocalypse. head over and make your vote count.


------------------------



Black Cat on Spectacular Spiderman this Saturday (may 17th) at 10AM on The CW. I've always liked her, so I'm glad she's getting her TV due. Black Cat takes me back to a time when I first read comics and reminds me of what I used to enjoy about the Spiderman stories. Oh and the Black costume symbiote shows up as well. What, No Secret Wars?


------------------------




Ron Perlman talks Hellboy

In all of Guillermo’s movies, the monsters are the ones who are the most human and the humans are the ones who are the most monstrous. He’s been playing in that world ever since he made his first film and that’s a theme that fascinates him for all the right reasons. And even if you don’t see it necessarily on the surface of the entertainment he is giving you, it’s there and this is why you are so stirred when watching his films for reasons that you can’t even really articulate. There’s so much there that he’s grappling with.
See full article here


-Swinebread

6 comments:

Arkonbey said...

That's a lot of stuff in one post.

The 'movies made comics cooler' article: did this guy read any comics made before the 1990s?

I'll give him that costumes are more realistic, but who really wants that? Any 'real' hero would wear totally utilitarian garb like fatigues. Boring. Sure, a Kirby-esque costume couldn't exist in real life, but isn't that the fun?

His example of decompression is sort of on. But, I think he's missing the fact that European graphic novels have been doing that for years. Euro has influenced US graphic novels and so on to monthlies.

I also chuckled at his first example of decompression; it looks more like an example of photocopying. I really hate lazy art.

See? I wrote all that and didn't even comment on the rest of your stuff.

Don Snabulus said...

I voted Sci-Fi. Even though I know of an unpublished Sci-Fi RPG I may be participating in soon.

Dean Wormer said...

Ron Perlman is da bomb.

Hellboy is near the top of my list of films to see. Especially since he's my son's favorite character.

Dr. Zaius said...

I wanna see the "Hellboy" sequel.

Swinebread said...

arkonbey - I think his experience with comics is very limited to the 1990s and now. Comic art was very realistic in the 60s, 70s and 80s imo.

snab - that's cool, what sci-fi game are you involved in?

dean - That's cool, Dean Jr. is always talking about godzilla and the hulk, I never knew.

dr. zaius - me too!

Unknown said...

taiwan hotel
taipei hotel near mrt
hotel near taipei main station
hotel in taipei
where to stay in taipei
jiaoxi hot spring hotel
yilan hot spring
yilan hot spring hotel
yilan
jiaoxi hotel