Friday, May 9, 2008

Why Is Iron Man a Good Movie?

This is why:

"The last thing you want to do is punish your audience for buying the ticket. I remember [the Schwarzenegger movie] The Last Action Hero – they were marketing it as an action movie, but it made fun of action movies, and, as a result, of the people who were going to see the movie. With Elf I thought it had to be a Christmas movie first and foremost – it couldn’t make fun of being a Christmas movie. And with superhero movies, it’s very much a Joseph Campbell rise-of-the-hero mythic story you are telling."

Simultaneously, though, Favreau aims to make films that are authentic and of their time. "I know when I made Elf, having grown up in New York, and Christmas movies meaning New York to me, to be able not too long after 9/11 to show the Empire State Building and all these landmarks and have people think of them in a way other than just as a terrorist target, it felt like it was liberating, offering hope and simplicity. It was such a complicated, anxious time.

"And now that it’s six or seven years later, in Iron Man, I think you can let the times inform the backdrop even more and you don’t run the risk of pulling people out of the story. The big thing was to express these anxieties everyone is feeling. ... Tony Stark is a guy who is literally oblivious, fooling around, having drinks in a HumVee, then he wakes up to see himself in a hostage video. I think that’s how America feels."

The words of director Jon Favreau posted here.


-Swinebread

5 comments:

Stephen said...

he sounds so epic, and like he put deep thought into every decision.

Overdroid said...

Best superhero movie in years.

Steve said...

havent seen it yet but will soon

Don Snabulus said...

I want to see this one soon!

"Tony Stark is a guy who is literally oblivious, fooling around, having drinks in a HumVee, then he wakes up to see himself in a hostage video. I think that’s how America feels."

He's right, but America feels that way because they keep getting their "fear button" pushed over and over, not because they want to sit and dwell daily over one of the least likely dangers in American life. Obviously I am saying that without the movie context, but the fact that fear is still a weapon used against us is quite sad.

Swinebread said...

Stephen – he’s a thoughtful guy. He’s that way with acting roles as well.

OD – I have to agree.

Pidomon – did you see it? (because I’m late with my response.)

Sanb – well I think that Tony is also held hostage by the bad decisions he and his company have made to make a few bucks.